Different Types Of Car Scratches: How To Fix Them?
Some car scratches can be removed with a simple polish, while others require more serious mechanical work to fix them.
The first step in fixing any car scratch is identifying what type of scratch it is. Lakeland Hyundai will discuss the different types of scratches in this blog post.
1. Clear Coat Scratch
Clear coat scratches are usually caused by something rubbing up against the clear coat, like a branch or a rock. These scratches aren’t very deep so they can be fixed with good polishing.
How to Fix it?
You’ll need to use a rubbing compound and buffing pad to fix a clear coat scratch.
- First, apply the rubbing compound to the scratched area.
- Then, use the buffing pad to buff out the scratch. You may need to repeat this process a few times before the scratch is completely gone.
- Once you’re finished, you should apply a fresh coat of wax or sealant to protect the newly-fixed area.
2. Paint Chips Scratch
Paint chips are a bit more serious. They’re usually caused by something hitting the paint hard, like a stone. These chips can be difficult to repair.
How to Fix it?
- First, gather up some touch-up paint that matches your car’s color. You can usually find this at an auto parts store.
- Next, get some fine sandpaper and a polishing compound. Now you’re ready to start fixing that paint chip.
- Clean the area around the chip with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. This will help the touch-up paint adhere better.
- Then, using the sandpaper, lightly sand the chip itself until it’s smooth. Be careful not to sand too much.
- Once the chip is smooth, apply the touch-up paint carefully with another cotton swab. Allow it to dry thoroughly before proceeding.
- Using the polishing compound and a clean cloth, buff out the area around the touch-up paint until it’s smooth. You may have to do this a few times to get the best results.
3. Deep Gouges
Deep gouges are the most serious type of car scratches. They’re usually caused by something hitting the car with a lot of force, like a tree branch or a rock. These scratches can be very difficult to repair, and they often require professional help.
How to Fix it?
You’ll need a few supplies, including sandpaper, primer, paint, and a clear coat.
- First, wash and dry the area around the scratch.
- Then, using sandpaper, gently sand the area until it’s smooth.
- Next, apply primer to the area and let it dry.
- Once the primer is dry, apply paint to the area. Be sure to use paint that matches your car’s color.
- Finally, apply a clear coat over the paint to protect it from UV rays and other damage.
That’s it! You’ve now fixed that pesky scratch in your car’s paint job.
We always recommend you take your car to a car service center where professionals can deal with the scratches on your car.
Don’t let a scratch ruin your car’s perfect paint job – bring it to us, and we’ll have it fixed in no time.
Lakeland Hyundai, serving Plant City, FL, is your one-stop car service center in Florida that can handle all of your needs – from car scratches to full-on repairs. Our skilled and experienced team can take care of any issue you may have, big or small.